Published Dec 09, 2016Our Best of 2016 albums lists by genre end today with our staff picks for the 10 best improv and avant-garde albums released this year. Unlike on our other lists, these albums are not ranked; these are simply 10 of the best experimental albums released in 2016, arranged alphabetically.
Click next to read through the albums one by one, or use the list below to skip ahead to your favourites.
On Monday (December 12), our year-end coverage will continue with Exclaim!'s Top 10 EPs of 2016.
Top 10 Improv & Avant-Garde Albums of 2016:
- Ben Lukas Boysen - Spells
- Charles Barabé – Les Dernières Confessions
- Daniel Lanois - Goodbye to Language
- Ian William Craig - Centres
- Jean-Michel Blais - Il
- Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Ears
- Paul Newman - Duo Compositions
- Sarah Neufeld - The Ridge
- Sarathy Korwar - Day to Day
- Skeletons - Am I Home?