SOCAN Announces 2020 Songwriting Prize Finalists
Nominees include Haviah Mighty, Clairmont The Second, iskwé and William Prince
Published Jul 16, 2020The SOCAN Songwriting Prize finalists for 2020 have been revealed — and this year's contenders are celebrating with the organization's 15th anniversary edition.
Today, SOCAN announced the 20 finalists, with 10 in the English category and another 10 in the French category. Among this year's nominees are William Prince, Haviah Mighty, Corridor, Clairmont The Second, iskwé, FouKi and LOONY.
The prize is awarded to exceptional songwriters in Canada and chosen through an online voting process. Each grand prize winner will receive $5,000, a Yamaha keyboard and a $500 gift certificate to Long & McQuade. Unlike years prior, the runners-up will also each receive a $500 cash prize.
The finalists were selected by a panel of 15 music industry influencers.
"Fifteen years later the SOCAN Songwriting Prize nominees continue to exemplify the incredible creative talent that Canada continues to be known for around the world," SOCAN's Michael McCarty said in a statement. "The decision to change the prize structure this year was an easy one rooted in our core value of supporting our members. We hope this small gesture helps them navigate the situation."
Voting for the SOCAN Songwriting Prize opens today and the winner will be determined by music fans, who can cast one vote per day. Listen to this year's nominees and cast your vote here.
Voting closes on July 30, and the winners in each category will be announced the week of August 2.
SOCAN Songwriting Prize 2020 Nominees (English):
• "#uvangattauq" – written by Rita Claire Mike-Murphy, Zahrah Ibrahim, Andrew Morrison; performed by Riit; published by Girl On A Horse, Aakuluk Music Inc.
• "Breaking Down" – written by Meghan Meisters, Mary Beth Ancheta, Alex Mak; performed by iskwé; published by Hyvetown Music Inc.
• "Grip" – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont The Second.
• "Mind Games" – written by Lauren Isenberg, David Charles Fischer, Jeff Hazin, Matt Kahane; performed by renforshort.
• "Mountain" – written by Scott Zhang; performed by Monsune.
• "Same Room" – written by JP Saxe, Ryan Marrone; performed by JP Saxe; published by SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
• "Some Kinda Love" – written by Kira Huszar, Adam Pondang, Akeel Henry; performed by LOONY; published by Keys Open Doors, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd. Canada.
• "The Spark" – written by William Prince; performed by William Prince.
• "Thinking 'Bout Love" – written by Khalid Yassein, Robyn Dell'Unto; performed by Wild Rivers; published by Wild Rivers Ltd., Robyn Dell'Unto Music.
• "Thirteen" – written by Haviah Mighty, Preston Chin, Tim Hill; performed by Haviah Mighty.
SOCAN Songwriting Prize 2020 Nominees (French):
• "Attends-moi pas" – written by Vincent Roberge, Félix Petit; performed by Les Louanges; published by Bonsound.
• "Aujourd'hui" – written by Alexandre Beauregard, Daphné Brissette, Guillaume Chiasson, Mélissa Fortin, Étienne Côté ; performed by Bon Enfant; published by Ambiances Ambigües, David Murphy et Cie.
• "Cadran solaire" – written by Justin Boisclair, Thibault de Castelbajac, Benjamin Duplantie-Grenier, Thomas Thivierge-Gauthier, Maxime de Castelbajac, Clément Langlois-Légaré; performed by LaF; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.
• "Chaleur 10" – written by Mat Vezio; performed by Mat Vezio.
• "Coton ouaté" – written by Christian-Adam Gilbert, Mathieu Lafontaine; performed by Bleu Jeans Bleu; published by Chalet Musique SENC.
• "Instant Zéro" – written by Laurence-Anne C. Gagné; performed by Laurence-Anne; published by Ambiances Ambigües and David Murphy et Cie.
• "La fin du monde à tous les jours" – written by Lou-Adriane Cassidy, Stéphanie Boulay; performed by Lou-Adriane Cassidy; published by Dare to Care.
• "Maintenant ou jamais" – written by Félix Dyotte; performed by Evelyne Brochu; published by Dare To Care.
• "Topographe" – written by Julien Bakvis, Jonathan Robert, Julian Perreault, Dominic Berthiaume; performed by Corridor.
• "ZayZay" – written by Léo Fougères, Tom St-Laurent; performed by FouKi; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.